Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

heavy hearts

Reader beware: this is a heavy post.

This week has been one of introspection, existentialism, and spirituality.

I'll get to the point right away...

Our friend Michael Pitcher died this week. He has a landscaping business and fell from a tree he was limbing. He leaves behind a sweet wife, four young children, and a large extended family.

Brad and I are still in the can't-believe-it phase.

Last week Michael and Michelle sat on our couch laughing till we all cried at funny youtube videos. Monday he was gone.

Last Wednesday Michael attended our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and then stayed after to help us clean up the office. Next weekend we'll attend his funeral.

While its tempting to ask why, it is better to focus on what I know. I know that families can be together forever. I know that we are spiritual beings having a mortal experience. I know that the plan of salvation is perfect.

I also know that Michael's family will miss him incredibly until they are reunited. That's the part that makes me cry.

We've had many tearful discussion in our home the last two days. Brad and I have canvassed everything from burials to remarriage. It's difficult to talk about but so important.

Have you discussed this with your spouse or family? Do you have life insurance? A will? I pray that you do. My Mother-in-law will attest to how important it is to have everything in order before the unthinkable happens. Remember when John died? It's been 2 years and things are still being worked out.

One thing that troubles me is how everyone says such nice things about people who've passed on. I remember sitting in Johns funeral hearing people talk about how amazing he was and wondering...did they ever tell John how great they thought he was? Did I?
Last week I noticed how Michael was always smiling. I had the distinct thought that he and Michelle are perfect for each other because they're both so happy and always smiling. I felt lucky that they are our friends. I didn't tell them that. I wish I had.
This will be my new ambition. To tell people how amazing they are and what I think is wonderful about them.

Michael and Brad were friends before we were married. Michael caught the garter at our wedding and married Michelle shortly after. We were neighbors in married-housing at BYU. When we came back to Washington we were happy to find that they had settled on the Peninsula too. The crazy thing is that its really been in the last few weeks that our families have reconnected and spent a lot of time together. Brad and I are so incredibly grateful for that time.

Our every prayer is with Michelle and her children right now. We hope that they will find solace in the gospel of Jesus Christ and feel the love and prayers offered on their behalf.

(Photo of Michael and his boys when we were neighbors in 2005)

5 comments:

  1. I guess you're never too young to set up that will and living revocable trust.

    Phrases like "I'm sorry for your loss" and "our prayers are with you" always sound hollow when someone that close is taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the faith but also cruel reality you expressed in this post.

    I'm glad God gives us experiences like this that literally make us stand still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this right now. We are having some of the same thoughts and feelings this week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, when I'm "clicking" through the blogs each day- I never know exactly what I will find. Mostly "kid pics", funny stories, family updates, etc. Then every now and then there is something that takes your breathe away, brings tears to your eyes, and makes you stop and really think about life and death-- A post like this one- thanks for sharing. Thanks for your faith, testimony, and courage.

    ReplyDelete