Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Halloween Party

This year we decided try something new for Halloween.  Instead of participating in some form of candy collecting, we threw a party!

I struggled with this decision a bit–not wanting to rob the children of a tradition but not wanting the sugar-overload even more.

We ended up inviting a bunch of friends over for a "Wholesome Halloween Bash."  We dressed up, had a bon fire, drank spiced cider, ate homemade pumpkin donuts, almond butter cups and pumpkin rice crispy treats (they were all gluten-free, vegan, soy free and as whole foods as possible). 

The party was a hit.  Pandora's Halloween station was the soundtrack of the night.  It was festive, fun and I think we've just started a new tradition!

Harry Potter, Spidey, Cupcake & Butterfly Princess




Allen's piano teacher let him borrow this Griffendor robe.


I love her, "Why am I dressed like this?" look.






Our smiles get painful after a minute or two...



The children had fun decorating with me–as it turns out, if you buy decorations the night before Halloween they're already half off.  Score!

These were delicious.  However, I altered the recipe a few days later for chocolate-coconut donuts that blew these out of the water.  


These would have been more delicious if I'd actually purchased "crispy" rice.  Apparently I bought "puffy" rice.  Big difference when you're making rice treats.  At least the flavor was great. 

My awesome sister-in-law, Heidi!

Our rockin' friend, Amy.

We spent the bulk of the evening out by the fire roasting marshmallows. 

Brandy :)

My new friend, Heather.

Bradley and I wore our old king and peasant costumes we've had for years. 

My new friend, Stephanie.


Bradley and Rance manned the fire and the cider.  Thank guys! 

I snapped a few pictures on my phone too:






No comments:

Post a Comment