Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tarantula

Deadly Encounter with a Tarantula & Spit-up in my Mouth!
I figured I'd deviate from my usual hundred-pictures-per-post format and share some daily musings.

So yesterday I was happily driving along in my mini-van when I made a quick stop at the YMCA. Upon re-entering my van, I grabbed the shifter to put it into drive when a baby tarantula emerged, crawling strait for my face, over the steering wheel! Once I could finally get my muscles to move I jumped out the door and did a little dance, native to the amazon I'm sure, while screaming like a...hmm, girl is not the right word here. Anyway, after I composed myself, I went to the other side of the van to peer through passenger door at my little friend. It was indeed a baby tarantula (or wolf spider as their known in this bug-infested land of Missouri)! What to do? I bravely took off my shoe...like I was really going to be able to kill it! Five minutes later, after whacking the steering wheel to no avail, I was still standing shoe-less on the pavement while IT ran free all over my steering wheel. Brad was at home with both kids so he couldn't come rescue me. There was only one option left...flag down a burly man! Lucky me, one had just pulled in a few parking spots away! He looked a little weary as I approached him with my story. Was I serious? A spider? He didn't actually say anything-- just walked up to the open driver-side door, grabbed a napkin from inside, cocked his head into the windshield to see behind the steering wheel where IT was hiding, grabbed IT with one swipe, balled it up, and wisely departed WITH the napkin. I gushed my gratitude to his back as he walked away. My hero! Thank you Mr. Spider Killer Man!
Now I can't get in the van without searching the entire dash for baby tarantulas. The memory of this encounter (deadly for IT) still gives me
goosebumps.

In related news, Brigham
spit up in my mouth today. It was my fault really. I had just fed him and he was all smiles and giggles. I couldn't help myself! I had to hold him over my head as I sang to him a special song I made up (it's called "I love Brigham"). And then it happened. Eww! I'll spare the chunky details in this story. Afterwards, he looked pleased with himself.Anything to make you smile son!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like one CRAZY day lady! Poor thing, isn't the life of a mother so appealing? and as for that spider, gosh right out of the horror movie arachniphobia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You know I would be in tears and flagging someone down too. I hate spiders and bugs, but especially spiders. Ewe, it makes me cringe just thiking about it. And the spit up, I'm sorry. I had that happen to me with my cousin when I was younger. It was horrible. You would think I learned from that experience, but with Rock, he has drooled. Not so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew! Spiders are truly terrifying! You are a brave girl! :) As for the spit up in the mouth. It has happened numerous times here, to numerous family members! :) Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember that time in the dorms where we'd probably been living together for only a few weeks and you found a spider on your pillow or by your bed and made ME kill it? I do. Then you couldn't sleep so you moved your bed to a horizontal position in the room and finally called it good. I laugh now thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. Yes Em, that was hilarious...now! I don't know what I was thinking, but I guess I thought moving my bed to the center of the room was going to keep the spiders away. I thought they would emerge from the crack between my bed and the wall. So I took the wall out of the equation. Worked for me! Laughs for you!
    Haha. I do remember the look on your face as I yelled, "Emily, kill it!" Priceless!
    Thank you for your spider-killing-deed of times past my dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete