Last weekend we headed west to Independence Missouri for some sight seeing. The city of Independence is where President Harry S. Truman grew up, where the Oregon and California trails began, and where many historic LDS sites are located. It was a must-see before we move back to the Northwest.
The boys did well during the 3 hour journey there and back, sleeping most of the time.

Our first stop was at the LDS visitor's center in Independence where they have a smaller version of Thorvaldsen's Christus like the one located on Temple Square in Salt Lake.

Next we toured the Community of Christ's Temple--a strange looking building. It is dedicated to peace around the world. We attended a prayer ceremony where they were praying for the country of Kurdistan (they choose a different country every day). It was cool.

We spent a couple hours walking around Main street looking at old shops. We had some awesome pizza for dinner at a local pizzeria.

The boys (all 3!) thoroughly enjoyed the pool at the hotel.

The next day we visited historic Liberty Jail where the prophet Joseph was held for 5 winter months. It was a great tour. The floorboards of the jail are still there--so cool. It was our favorite place of the trip.

Do you see Allen?


It was a very fun 2-day trip. We've really enjoyed living in the mid-west and visiting so many historic places.
Plenty more pictures HERE.


That's awesome! I haven't been to see those places in YEARS! I have family out there in Missouri, so the last time I visited them, they took me to all those cool places! What a good idea to hit them before you leave... Looks like you had a blast!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I just got back from looking at all your other pics, and I have to say that my all time favs on there are of Brad jumping over Allen! Nice shots!!! I love it...
ReplyDeleteI was originally going to post one of those, so I went back and put it there. :)
ReplyDeleteIt was a lot of fun.
Can't wait to see you guys though!
Looks like fun!! Makes me wish we had done it before we left!
ReplyDeleteI love Allen's "tree" hair in the picture with the donut I REALLY want. Can't wait to see you guys!
ReplyDelete