Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

I can do it!

As I was putting the boys down for nap today Allen kindly reminded me of his growing independence.

While he went to the bathroom (by himself), I pulled out his toothbrush and toothpaste for the normal routine (he has horrible teeth so we have to brush them often).

"I can do it by myself Mommy!" he declared.

Okay.

With a reminder for him to be polite, I quickly set the tooth brush and paste on the counter and waited for him to load his brush.

He then came to the counter, put his toothbrush back in its holder, the paste back in its drawer, and gave me a look I'm still trying to figure out. Accusatory? Annoyed?

Then he proceeded to take his toothbrush back out of the holder, the paste back out of the drawer, and load it on.

After another pointed glance in my direction, he began to brush his own teeth.

I was expecting this sort of thing...

however, not for another 10-years!

Where is my sweet baby? Who is this sometimes-sassy-boy? And where does he get it from? (No one answer this! He gets it from me, I know. Natures revenge for my teenage years.) Oy!

It's pouring buckets outside. The fireplace and my new book are calling my name.

I think I'll relax and savor this afternoon. It's the magical time of day when both boys sleep at once.

Gotta run, my minutes are ticking away!

7 comments:

  1. What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Aud's mom) How do you know the Brathwaites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Debora,
    I left a comment on your blog just today answering your question. :)

    We know them from Missouri. John and Mandi. John was in Chiropractic school with Brad. They were are neighbors for 3 years. They're in Chicago now. We miss them!

    You must know his parents?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asher has hit this stage already... especially with potty training. All I ever hear is "I do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. you get both down at once!?!?! YOU ARE LUCKY!!! I know, these boys and the sassiness...thought that was reserved for the girls..but don't you worry- those girls just bring it eariler!!! :) I LOVE your posts by the way. Love how you write. Its easy and fun to read...some people just drag it on, but I always love it when you post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We know brother and sister Braithwaite and two of the daughters. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alanna, your family is growing up so fast. Your boys are so handsome! I miss you tonz. Merry Christmas & congrats on getting into a bigger place. (A toy room would be awesome!) Love,
    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete