Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

cooking catastrophe

I responded to a Segullah thread entitled, And then the brownies exploded. It was so much fun reading all the comments I decided to post here and get your stories too. And did I mention I love Segullah? I do.

…oh, I needed this.

I usually feel relatively competent in the kitchen, however, two days ago I had one of “those” dreaded days.

I steamed peas as a side-dish for our fish-dinner. Although it helps if you remember to put WATER in the pan! I couldn’t figure out why they weren’t steaming after the burner had been red-hot for quite a while. Then the burning smell. Upon realization I did something even more stupid. I pulled the red-hot pan off the red-hot stove and set it on a potholder. It quickly melted to the potholder and almost caught fire!

I cried. My husband came to help. We doused everything with water, opened the windows, and ate salad in place of the charred peas. For the duration of the evening my sweet-husband complimented my cooking skills. Even so, I felt completely inept…sort of like the time I made a turkey-casserole for a vegetarian family. Not a good feeling.


2 comments:

  1. Oh man... I've had so many incidents like that, it's not even funny... My first that happened in my marriage was when I tried to make bread. I'd never done it before... so when I put the yeast in I didn't realize it needed to be WARM water. So, I poured cold, straight from the tap, water. The bread came out of the bread machine (yeah, even more pathetic because it was from a bread machine) as a lump of hard, salty block of something resembling bread. Michael was so sweet that he choked down half of it before I took a bite myself and realized what it tasted like. I told him he didn't need to keep eating it... poor thing... Then, another time, one of my plates split in half. I still haven't figured out why... I grabbed it from my cupboard, put my food on it, and it split suddenly down the middle. Maybe it was telling me I needed smaller portions... I dunno... Michael put sparkling cider (in the glass bottles) in the freezer and then they exploded...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny funny. I'm glad you shared Michelle. I was beginning to feel like the only one with kitchen-bloopers!

    ReplyDelete