Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Om nom nom"

I responded to a thread on Times & Seasons about breastfeeding. It was a discussion of an article about a woman who breast feeds her children until the age of six. Yikes! I thought I'd post my response here:

...I have a very nice nursing shield (hooter hider) that I bought on the internet (great selection at http://www.mebo.etsy.com). I use it everywhere! In fact, we were just at Red Robin eating dinner two nights ago and I breast fed my son during our meal. If anyone stared, I didn’t notice.

I stopped caring what people thought about breastfeeding in public after my first son. I spent far too much time feeding my baby in public restroom stalls (eww!) so everyone else would feel comfortable not seeing me feed him with my breasts (Can I say that? Is “Breast” a naughty word?). The breaking point was at the airport. My son was getting too heavy to nurse standing up in a stall, I didn’t want to sit on a toilet, and there were no chairs in the bathroom. So I bit the bullet and nursed him (under a blanket) at the gate while waiting for our flight. People stared. I was uncomfortable. And then I noticed a room across the hall. A very comfortable room, with leather chairs and big windows. A smokers lounge. How convenient for those people. A special, comfortable place where they can go to suck down their nicotine-fix without bothering anyone else. What about my baby and his milk-fix? No fair!

And then I didn’t care. If society wasn’t going to afford me at least as much comfort as the people smoking cigarettes, then I wasn’t going to worry about offending the public with my racy-nursing activities. They could deal with it. And once my mind was made up, I handled it better too. I hardly noticed the stares.

I’ve often thought of the campaigns put on to persuade mothers that breast-milk is best for their infants. I think if the focus was on convincing everyone else that modest-breastfeeding is decent and allowable, then more mothers would naturally choose it. I try to do my part for breastfeeding-acceptance by unapologetically nursing my babies, modestly, where ever I am.

About the age. If this women wants to nurse her children till age six, then whatever. I’m not going to tell her what’s right or wrong for her children. However, her actions would indicate that she is a breastfeeding advocate and she must know that going-public about breastfeeding a six-year-old is unusual and will attract disdain. Even so, I doubt she intended to perpetuate the negative-stigma that the rest of us are laboring to eradicate. If I ever nurse my babies past the age of two, I might keep that little tidbit to myself.

Thoughts anyone?

6 comments:

  1. Good for you. I am so happy that you aren't afraid to take good care of your kids. Breast feeding is the best way to go and you should not be apologetic about it...you should be able to do it wherever. I too am for breast feeding (I don't love it...but I know that it is so important) and feel that a woman should be able to take care of her kids without the stares or being ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post from an Emily. :)

    I was reading an article about how facebook is removing the pictures of women breastfeeding their babies that are exposing and there's a big stink about it in the nursing community. One mother commented that she enjoys breastfeeding and how it is just a natural thing for her to do with her child. She also commented that picking your nose is also natural, but no one wants to see a picture of you doing that on facebook. I agreed. :)

    I've breastfeed Reggie in public (the airport as well) under a blanket, and no one seemed bothered. Of course we were in Oregon, land of the free :), but I feel the same way. I'm not going to go to a gross bathroom if you're uncomfortable. You can go sit in the bathroom until I'm done for all I care.

    But alas, my breastfeeding days are winding down. Reg is one on Wednesday and I'm taking January and February to wean. Nursing was great, but I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. This is Audrey's sister. This has been intriguing to me as well. There seems to be a double standard about breasts. You see a little bit of skin when nursing and it's frowned upon, but when it comes to Hollywood, the more skin showing the better.

    I'm all for modest breastfeeding though -using a cover-up as much as possible. I'm now breastfeeding my 3rd son, and it does get easier to nurse in public with each child. I remember being really self-concious with the 1st, thinking that everyone was staring at me, but it gets more comfortable. I think people actually appreciate not hearing a screaming baby.

    My problem sometimes is leaking alot or having a baby that toots loudly while nursing. That can be embarrassing. So it would be nice if there are more mothers rooms.

    As far as the age, I think by the time they can say "boobie", they're too old for breastfeeding! 12 months is enough for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the Hollywood-point. The busty-er the better! Breasts have become such a symbol of sexuality to the point that using them for their God-given purpose becomes inappropriate at times.
    Keep unapologetically nursing ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I have no idea what this is all about yet! But I love that you call it a 'hooter hider.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor girl will definatley need some kind of lift when she's all said and done. But I say, good for her, although 16 months was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete