Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

toddler peer pressure

Lately, Allen has been getting his way utilizing a very effective tactic I like to call toddler-peer-pressure. It goes a little something like this:

While playing with playdoh, "Mommy please play playdoh with me. Com'on mommy, everybody likes to play playdoh with me. It's so fun!" (He's actually saying this right now while I type...hence this post is taking forever because I keep taking playdoh-brakes!)
And in the afternoons, "Mommy, please can I watch a movie? Everyone wants to watch a movie! Please, please, please can I watch a movie?"
In similar fashion are his petitions to play outside, go see Daddy at school, have a snack, and...well, anything his little heart fancies.

Now, as adorable as these pleas are, I had no idea where he got the notion of "everybody's doing it." Then I remembered how we convinced him to go #2 on the toilet. While he sat on the pot, we would list off every person he knows by name and tell him that they go potty in the toilet ("Grandpa goes potty in the toilet, Heather & Greg go potty in the toilet, Hayden goes potty in the toilet...everyone goes potty in the toilet." Yes, if Allen knows your name, you were probably much talked about in our bathroom.)

So, while the strength-in-numbers approach worked well for Mommy & Daddy, our smart little boy understood the concept, took it a step further, and turned it on us. I guess it's alright for him to say this while he's 2. Now if he's still saying it when he's 12, I might have to pull one of those ancient-quotes out of the bag- "If everyone jumped off a cliff...?" I don't think that would work now. Actually, he is Bradley's son. He'd probably beg me to go cliff-jumping if I said that to him.

Anyway, for now it's still adorable. But then, I'm his Mommy, self-admittedly biased, and I think 90% of what he says should be written down it's so darn cute.
More Allen-isms to come! I've got a running list. :)

P.S. I can't wait for Brig-isms. I wonder what he will say?

No comments:

Post a Comment